
Myanna was born on June 2, 2000 at 7:00 a.m. on the dot at Mary Birch Hospital in San Diego, California. Dean still thinks its cool to call her a mexican because she was born in San Diego, despite the fact that she's been closer to canada for all but 3 months of her life. I guess canadian doesn't sound as cool to him as mexican does...or maybe it's just all these years at IWI...
By the time Myanna was 2 she had figured out that she loved living in the spotlight. Whenever we'd go to the park, she would grab the railings on the bridge and sing "Close Every Door to Me" from Joseph. At Alissa's baby blessing she sang the first verse of "I am a child of God" in sacrament meeting by herself. The other day I was watching her dance in her own little production, singing on a pretend stage to a pretend crowd and wondered - if I had to do it all over again could I possibly have saved her from this spotlight seeking lifestyle? But that would mean taking away a part of her that brings me so much joy.
One of my favorite things about Myanna getting older is watching her interact with the world that isn't here at home. She is such an amazing student at school, a great friend on the playground, a great sister on the bus. One day her teacher told me "the best thing about Myanna is that she has such great initiative. I can teach her something and three minutes later she is figuring out how to use that information in new and creative ways." Moments like those make up for the moments when the teacher calls you in because some kid dared Myanna to stick her tongue to the flag pole in the middle of winter.
It is still amazing to me to think that Myanna is 8 and baptized. However, I couldn't be more sure of the fact that she is ready and eager to take on this covenant with her heavenly father. When Myanna was 5 she was diagnosed with mono. We came home from the doctors office and she was laying on the couch completely lifeless and hot with a fever. It was one of the worst days of my life. Dean and his dad came home from work and gave her a blessing. I will never forget when Dean told Myanna that if SHE had faith in Heavenly Father's ability to heal her that he would. I was shocked that a little girl would be expected to have enough faith to be healed...it seemed like too much to ask of someone so spiritually immature. That moment taught me something about the way Heavenly Father sees Myanna and how I see her. He saw her potential and knew she could have enough faith, I saw her fraility and doubted. What an amazing insight as to how we should see ourselves, versus how we do.
Myanna and Dean have always had a special connection. I don't know if it's because he got to spend three months with her at home when she was born (he was studying for the bar exam), or if its because she reminds him of what it is like to be a kid again. It is so fun to watch them go to movies together, go fishing together, play soccer or basketball together, cook breakfast together...the list goes on and on. What an amazing day it was to watch them share in her baptism together. Both dressed in white, one preparing to make covenants and promises, another keeping his promise that by having the priesthood he would use it to serve others. I am so blessed to have both of these amazing indivduals in my life forever!!
2 comments:
Hey girl! Great first post! Loved every word of it! Can't wait for more!
We All Love Myanna! She's awesome!
What do you mean that Canadian isn't as cool? It's the COOLEST! Thank you very much :D
luv, Alanna
Post a Comment