
This year Myanna wanted to try a new class offered by the dance studio called musical theater. She loved it; I thought it was the biggest waste of time and money. The teacher sat on a chair the entire hour and let the kids "be free to express themselves." When it came time to order costumes she asked that we as parents "guide our children in studying period dress for their roles and create something on our own." What? Are you kidding me? I can't believe I paid $25 a month for Myanna to be led by some hippie woman on crack down drama geek lane. Whatever. To make it worth it I argued (mainly to myself) that I was teaching Myanna to stick with something that we'd committed too. She didn't care that I was wasting my money each month, she loved being able to pretend and "act." Their recital piece was Matchmaker from Fiddler on the Roof. The first time I watched it I thought to myself "there is no way I'm telling the other parents that Myanna is in that class..." (the fact that I'm video taping it probably didn't help my story at all but what can I say, I was mortified). Then came recital night. The lights when on, the crowd hushed and they did their little number. Myanna was awesome. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a really proud parent. I overheard people around me murmuring about her. She was fully engulfed in her role and had great comedic timing. I was so amazed.
It doesn't change anything though...this next year she's doing a real class. Like hip hop. :)
1 comment:
What a beautiful and talented family!! Your girls are amazing, when I spend time with you it't obvious that you spend a lot of quality time with your girls. Great blog.
Post a Comment